The following are ten ideas I've explored as possible candidates for this project:
1. Side-scrolling puzzle solver. (Player finds intricate stone keys that they must levitate and move around in a 3D space in order to find their right fit for a keyhole. Found in Legend of Zelda's Skyward Sword dungeon key system).
2. Physics based pulley systems and see-saws. Player must find objects with the right amount of weight to activate pulley systems and counterweight balances in order to rise to the highest point of the level.
3. Hunt or hunted. Survival of the fittest. Player evolves as they defeat other enemies/players. Their primary skill is strengthened throughout each evolution.
4. Changing forms in order to clear level obstacles (Example: Player is a spirit wisp that possesses different creatures in order to traverse the level/ Player must shape-shift into different objects/animals in order to complete level)
5. "United we stand. Divided we fall" A game where the player accumulates clumps of itself in order to cross obstacles and defeat enemies (Example found in"Pikmin")
6. Divergent thinking. A player encounters everyday objects and is forced to think differently of their function in order to solve puzzles. (Example: Player must use a chair as a key to turn a square shaped lock with 4 holes on each end).
7. A game where two people play on one keyboard. Two players must synchronize their movement in order to solve puzzles and defeat enemies.
8. A player's attack creates permanent structures in the world that help the player climb through levels and hinder its enemies (Example: Player jumps, then slams the ground. Impact creates spikes and jagged protruding shapes that might be used to climb to a higher platform in the level).
9. A stealth game were players try to maneuver out of a level by deceiving/manipulating enemies and triggering changes within the environment.
10. Players gather bait to lure creatures that"ll help the player traverse an environment (Example: A player uses giant leaves as bait for a large stegosaurus-like creature to come close. Player then uses stego-creature as a bridge to a higher point in the level.
More updates on this project coming soon. Thanks for reading!